Sunday, February 15, 2009

OUR SOUL NEEDS ICE CREAM


Last October I took my kid to a fast food chain. My eight-year-old son asked me if he could say grace before we eat. As we closed our eyes, bowed our heads and felt his presence, he said, "God is good, God is great, all the time. Thank you for the food, and I would thank you even more if dad would get ice cream for dessert, and Liberty and Justice for all! Amen."

Together with the laughter from the other customers nearby, I warmly heard a woman remark, "That's what I’m talking about, that’s what's wrong with this country. Kids today don't even know how to pray. Why would you ask God for ice cream! Why, I would never!” As I’ve heard this, my son burst into tears and suddenly asked me, "Did I do it wrong? Will God be mad at me?" As I stare at him, held him and reassured him that he just had done a terrific job and God was certainly not mad at him, an old gentleman walked towards the table and approached my kid. He theatrically winked at my son and said, "I firmly happen to know that God thought that was a perfect prayer." "Really?" my son asked. "I promise, Cross my heart."

And he added to that with a gestural whisper (pointing the old man’s lips the woman whose remark had started this whole thing), "Too bad for her, she never asks God for ice cream. A little ice cream is good for the soul sometimes." And then my son suddenly smiled and wiped the tears in his eyes.

So I bought my kid’s ice cream at the end of the meal. My son happily stared at his for a moment and then did something I will never forget for the rest of my life. He picked up his chocolate sundae and without a word he walked over and put it in front of the woman. With a big smile he suddenly told her, "Here, this is for you ma’am. Ice cream is good for the soul sometimes, and my soul is good already.

3 comments:

  1. Liberty and Justice for all! --

    wow,this is a moving piece kuya alex,
    I didn't know you are a blogger too!
    enjoy!

    ReplyDelete